8 Things To Consider When Buying Custom Plantation Window Shutters
The best thing about Shutters and More plantation shutters is the superior quality at a low price. What sets us apart from other shutter stores is the fact that we are the manufacturer, so when you buy from us you are cutting out any middle-man that might jack the price up. Rather, you are getting a factory-direct price without losing any of the value. Visit our facility and window shutters showroom in Los Angeles to see our wood shutter quality, get a free estimate, and compare for yourself.
Here are eight considerations for purchasing custom-made, wood plantation shutters:
- Buy Wooden Shutters Direct: No middlemen or dealer-retail relationships should be involved. Your shutter company should measure, manufacture, and provide a clean and professional installation without the use of subcontractors or installers paid by the square foot.
- Find a Trustworthy Shutter Company: Always purchase plantation shutters from a company that you can trust, especially when it’s a custom job. One good way to check the integrity of a shutter company is to see how long the company has been in business. Check the the Contractors State License Board (1-800-321-2752) #594550 for complaint history. Ensure that they have adequate liability, workers compensation, and auto insurance in place and are licensed and bonded for your protection.
- Go To a Shutter Store Showroom: Work with a company that has a showroom where all the available shutter configurations are on display. This will allow you to feel and touch the shutters and select colors, louver size, hardware, framing, stile profiles (the upright, vertical wood sections on shutters), divider rails, smooth or sandblasted, beveled glass inserts, sliding shutters, specialty shapes, and many more options.
- Get a Free On-Site Estimate: Use a shutter company that offers a free in-home estimate where the estimate and design of your shutters is completed by employees with hands-on factory and manufacturing experience. It’s important that the factory fabrication work order is engineered by the same person who saw your windows in your house so that they understand the decor requirements. The shutters should be personalized to fit your windows precisely with no pre-made panels or components.
- Window Shutter Warranty: Make sure the shutter company offers a strong warranty. The construction and installation of your shutters and louver doors are warranted to you, the original purchaser, and also fully transferable to the next owner of your home when you move. With Shutters and More, the warranty is as follows: A limited lifetime warranty on installation, workmanship and labor (when installed by Shutters and More, Inc.), and a full ten (10) year warranty on all structural components, which includes all moving parts, staples and louver tension. All paint finishes carry a ten (10) year warranty, (except for re-finishing which carries no warranty) and two (2) years on all stains. Additionally there is a lifetime warranty against bleeding.
- Shutter Wood Quality: Ensure that the shutters are 100% solid Basswood — no engineered material, veneered, pressed, or finger joint material that could later show through the finish.
- Shutter Paint Quality: Only work with a shutter company that shows their commitment to quality and superior craftsmanship by exclusively using furniture-grade nitrocellulose, non-yellowing lacquer paints with U.V. inhibitors. No water based paints. They should also offer free custom stains and paint color matches, and not pre-selected company selected colors for you to choose from.
- Wide Variety of Window Shutter Hardware & Frames: The window shutter company you choose to work with should offer a wide range of hardware and frame selections. For example, at Shutters and More we offer many different hinge finishes, including powder coated to match paint colors, antique brass, bright brass, polished chrome, nickel, oil rubbed bronze, and others. We offer frame molding upgrades at no additional charge. We also exclusively use magnets (white and brown) to keep shutters closed (no button receiver catches).
Come see our designer shutter showroom in Los Angeles that displays all of our window shutter products, or for your convenience, a designer will come to your home with shutter samples for a free in-home estimate if you contact us today or fill out the request form.